Sunday, May 13, 2012

mother's day

Mother's Day.....I haven't really figured out my feelings on this one quite yet.  Andrew made sure that my first Mother's Day was fabulous.  Breakfast (with mimosas) in bed, a card to keep forever, a beautiful necklace with tokens engraved with "B&F" and the twins' birthday.  Really, he could not have done a better job.  Was it fabulous?  Yes.  Do I enjoy being showered with love?  Yes.  Do I think Mother's Day is a great idea?  Not so sure.

When we draw attention to the state of being a mother, we cannot escape drawing equal attention to those who are not.  Today, my thoughts have been with women still fighting to get pregnant.  Women waiting to be matched with their adoptive child.  Women who have lost pregnancies or babies.  Women who have lost their adult children.  Women who carried a child for 9 months, then made the brave decision to allow another woman to be that child's mother.  Women who have lost their mothers.  Women who never really had mothers. 

At the end of mass this morning, the priest asked all mothers to stand and receive a special blessing.  I stood, but I cringed a bit.  Somewhere in that crowd was a woman who longed to stand with us.  To her, and to all women for whom this day is difficult, I send my love today.

1 comment: