Friday, June 10, 2011

mom, j.d.

Today at 11:30 a.m., I walked out the door of Goodwill and indefinitely left the world of the law. It was much more difficult than I anticipated. I never saw myself being a stay-at-home mom. Then again, I never saw myself having twins, or having to do IVF to have children. Life changes, and our roles shift.

I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity to stay at home with our twins, and excited to have some time this summer to take it easy and prepare for their birth. But all of my life, I have defined myself by what I did. If someone asked me about myself, my de facto answer began with what I did...a student, then an attorney. Now I'm struggling a bit with exactly "what" I am. I know that I was never just a student, or just an attorney. Likewise, I know I will not be just a mom. Despite my desire to keep interests and activities outside the home in my life, I certainly hope that I can manage to be good at this brand new role.

3 comments:

  1. You will be a great Mom!!!! And I bet you could go back part time once they are in school, this isn't a forever change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are turning the page to a wonderful chapter of your life. It will definitely not be easy and there will be many times when you will wonder,"Why am I doing this?" But to raise your own children in the way that you and Andrew desire, is an incomparable gift. Keep that in the forefront of your mind when you are sleep deprived and very very cranky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be your most rewarding role yet - and as always - you'll shine. Love you!

    ReplyDelete