Monday, July 7, 2014

happy birthday to me

Ten years ago today, Andrew and I were sitting alone at Chili's on the strip. It was happy hour, and seeing as it was my 21st birthday, I was having my "first drink" there. I vividly remember that I had two frozen strawberry margaritas, he had two beers, and he gave me a panera gift card (I had literally never had a bagel and that completely baffled him). I also vividly remember that he declined the invitation to go out that night with my roommates and other friends. Andrew had just gotten out of his longest ever relationship, which didn't really end well. We had been friends for a few months and had fun each time we were together. I'm pretty sure I already had a crush on him...and I'm positive he did NOT have a crush on me.

Fast forward ten years, and we are together again celebrating my 31st birthday. In fact, other than the summer I was in China, we have spent every birthday since that faithful Chili's outing together. Most things have changed a bit...my party yesterday was filled with babies and toddlers and inflatable pools. Tonight's birthday dinner was at 5:00 pm and didn't include alcohol. But as boring as all of that might have sounded to my 21-year-old self, the changes have actually all been for the better. Each year truly is richer. And the most important things haven't changed a bit. The fact that there is no one I would rather be with on July 7th. The fact that ten years later, two of my 21-year-old self roommates are still coming over to celebrate, now with their kids in tow as well. And the fact that sweet Andrew still tries to make each birthday better than the last.

a little candle help 

a few college and law school friends

water fun, with a "lifeguard" in the back

No comments:

Post a Comment