Monday, November 21, 2011

measures of success

I'm a bit of a freak...I love grades, test scores, items checked off a to-do list. I love tangible measures of success. I have always thrived on being rewarded for a job well done. You don't get a report card, however, for being a mom. No one puts a gold star by your name. So how do you measure success? In the years to come, how will I know if I've done an okay job at this most important role?

For me, my success (or failure) as a parent will be determined by how Barnes and Frances treat others. My great hope is that my children treat each person they encounter well. I pray that they respect others, including those who act or believe differently from them, and that they stand firm for equality. I hope they find joy in serving others and that they are always generous with their time, talent and treasure. I hope they radiate kindness, and that their lives cultivate kindness in others.

Do not misunderstand me...first and foremost I hope that Barnes and Frances grow to know the love of Jesus. But is there really a difference? If my little ones love the Lord, will they not also love others?

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40

No comments:

Post a Comment