Sunday, August 13, 2017

kindergarten

My sweet twins,

Tomorrow you are off on a new journey--your biggest adventure yet. Kindergarten begins tomorrow, and while I'm so excited for you, I'm also feeling lots of other feels.

I'm sad. I can't help but feel that this is the end of one chapter. Up to this point, we've led a pretty carefree existence together. We've traveled when we wanted, skipped things that didn't seem to matter. But now school beckons. From tomorrow, we'll be basing our lives around the scool calendar.

I'm missing you already. You may not realize this, but I adore you two. Every day I get to spend with you is a treasure. I am so going to miss our days together.

I feel bad for Shepherd and Ellis. Your two brothers think you hung the moon. I know that they are going to be lost without you these first few weeks.

I'm jealous. I can't help but envy your new teachers and friends and all the exciting things they will get to experience with you.

I'm scared. The thought of truly entrusting you to strangers is terrifying.

I'm hopeful. I pray the lessons we've tried to teach you hold strong as you enter this brave new world. My hope for you is that you always remember that we want just three things from you at school--be kind, be a good listener, and try your best.

I'm grateful. We live a life that has allowed us to choose a school that suits your needs. We live in a country that gives us more than one amazing option for your education. I am thankful beyond measure that you two will learn in a safe, warm, loving place, and grateful that even at school you will be reminded of just how much God loves you.

I'm curious. I so look forward to seeing who you grow into, how you change. I can't wait to see what kind of books you enjoy, what activities you want to do, and what new friends you make.

I'm relieved. I feel a sense of peace wash over me seeing how ready you two are, how wise and sweet you already are.

I'm proud. I'm proud of the babies and toddlers and preschoolers you were. I'm proud of the kids you are. I'm proud of the preteens and teens and college kids and adults you will be. I'm so, so proud of who you are, of who God made you to be. And I'm immensely proud to be your mom.

I love you. I will be thinking of you every second of tomorrow. But I know you're going to fly.

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment