Tuesday, September 16, 2014

my sweet one year old

My dearest Shepherd,

One year ago was one of the best days of my life. The day you were born could not have been more beautiful. Hearing you cry for the first time…seeing you and touching your precious hand when the doctor held you up over the blue sheet…nursing you…finally cuddling and kissing your gorgeous face. Welcoming you to the world was magical. I should have realized then that you would bring that same magic to our family each day.

Your first year has been such a joy. Sure, there have been tricky moments and difficult days, but you have brought such energy and love to our family. Watching you discover your world never gets old. 

Shepherd, you are so brave and determined. You already try to keep up with the big kids, following B&F up slides and onto beds and into so many places you aren’t quite big enough for yet. And while you scare me, you also make me smile. Your fearlessness is amazing.

Your smile is infectious. People cannot resist you, and mom & dad are like putty in your hands. You are the friendliest one year old—batting your eyes and sending a giggle to anyone you meet. I love your independent spirit. I love that you feel confident enough to walk away from me. But even more, I love that you always walk back. I pray that you will always think of me as an anchor. 

Sweet Shep, over the next few years you will grow exponentially. Your personality and brain and body will continue to develop, and you will learn more and more about your world. I am so honored to walk with you on this journey. You will never know what a privilege it is to be the one helping you, guiding you, each day. I pray that as you grow, you grow to be kind, compassionate, and loving. I pray that you know your own worth, and also know and respect the worth of others. I pray that you realize just how much your dad and I love you…just how thankful we are that you are ours. And I pray that you will grow to know our God, that you will grow confident in the love of Jesus and your identity in Him. 

Thank you for being my son. I love you more than you could ever imagine.


Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment